Sunday, June 04, 2006

Scott and I decided to head the the MNSCS Rochester Steeplechase race today. I was looking forward to testing my fitness against Kyia and Jenna. Kyia has been racing since March, and Jenna since April, so I expected them to be fast. They were. The course was mostly tight twisty singletrack with punchy climbs rendering passing difficult. For the first two miles or so Kyia, Jenna, and I were riding together. Then we caught the comp men. Jenna gapped Kyia and I while we had difficulty passing on the tight singletrack and then I bobbled and Jenna and Kyia both gapped me. I passed Kyia back on the long climb and gained some time back on Jenna, but not able to bridge the 20 sec or so gap. My legs finally felt OK during the third lap, before that they were burning and heavy. I had some difficulty with my shifting on the last lap, probably from cable stretch. I didn't take it much out of my big ring each lap. It was HOT! Over 80's and probably the hottest day for us northerner's all year - especially to race in. Still not as bas as the internal inferno I felt racing at Afton a few years back. Jenna won, me second, and Kyia third. No payout for me. We need more women racing! Only 5 women showed up. Scott did 3 (of 5) laps and then was done. His back was really sore from hauling about 8 cubic yards of black dirt the previous day. We both made a big mistake in that regards. 6 hours of hauling dirt and garden building yesterday. We both are sunburnt - before we started the race today. Less than brilliant. It was fun to race a MN series race again. Next race on the agenda is the Keweenaw Chain Drive Festival 32 mile race. Very fun singletrack and good race preparation for longer races such as the Ore to Shore and Chequamegon.

No comments: