Sunday, January 06, 2008

Scott and I were gone recently for US Nordic Nationals in Houghton, MI for the CSS Nordic Ski Team we are helping coach. We had a great week. The snow conditions were great along with temps. Our athletes had a rough showing due to a flu that hit the night before the first race and then spread through most of our team. We had a few good results as well. I had not been to a US Nationals for skiing since 1994. A few of my former NMU teammates are now coaching, so it was good to catch up with them. One of the coaches for our CSS team was also a former NMU teammate. I miss ski racing a little, but still not sure if I would ever race again. The bike season is really long and in order to be a really good skier one has to train properly, including a lot of rollerskiing. I rollerskied this year with our CSS team for the first time in maybe 5 years. I have fun helping others develop ski technique.

We have gotten a ton of snow this winter so the nordic skiing has been fantastic! Scott and I have been skiing for over a month now consistently. Scott is convinced biking makes him weak and skiing makes him strong. My arms always seem pretty sore and tired from skiing. It is a very good workout!

Other than skiing and coaching I am getting ready to start the next semester. Last semester was really tough with coaching, teaching, and being in grad school. Hopefully, this semester will be a bit better. I hope the weather stays good for skiing. It is so nice to have a real midwest winter!

3 comments:

Tristan Schouten said...

I think it's just the cold weather that makes Scottie strong, that warm weather is for the weak!

steve f said...

Sounds like the KJ`S had a good time in the U.P.
Did you get any compliments on that NMU ski team hat that some fan sent ya Sara?

Aaron Swanson said...

Just finally getting around to checking in with you guys. At least you're still doing a better blogging job than I've been this winter! Good to hear what you & Scott have been up to. I was over in Duluth a few times in the past month but not enough free time to track you guys down. One of these days...
Few more cold days then can back on sno-mo trails for training. Hope all is well.