Monday, June 20, 2011

TODAY'S WEATHER AND AFTON ALPS



Heat = 80s and sun... Sara on her way to beating the heat and a WIN!


More Heat... On the other hand, I'm on my way to a DNF



Back Home = 46 degrees and light mist... I had to grab my pants, jacket and hat to unload the car once we arrived home.



Today's weather = same as most days this spring - 47 degrees and clouds

I'm not sure how Sara is able to manage the temp swings from Duluth to (insert race venue here), but she does it. Yesterday she was able to give the finger to the Afton course (and mother nature) while it completely whipped me. I started off fine but anytime Jake or Devin would surge I would immediately wilt. It's hot for everyone, so I guess I'll have to head south and start riding in the sun/warm weather or set up the trainer in the sauna if I plan to finish humid, hot races.

It was a bummer that Chloe was unable to race at Afton because Sara was really looking forward to toeing the line with her (and Jenna for that matter). While Jenna was off at Nature Valley, Chloe was at Afton, but nursing an injury. Sara is constantly trying to guage her fitness but it isn't easy to do on the mountain bike based on all the variables and inconsistant women's field. She's excited to race the WORS CUP but she is also a little hesitant because she's not sure if she's got the form to do as well as she'd like. I'd say she is 99% certain she's doing it, however.

As for me, I'll probably do it too, but it is going to be ugly if it's hot and humid. I've got my fingers crossed for cold temps and lots of rain...

2 comments:

DMC said...

Yes heat is tough,, my year is AZ helped me a bunch.. Hope that you guys have a good time next weekend and go fast,,,Miss you at Red Wing..

steve f said...

Great efforts out there in the heat and hills.So cool that you guys will be heading to the national at mt morris,wi.An awesome event.You will hear me cheering!