Sunday, September 21, 2008

This summer has given me an entirely different perspective to racing. I have gotten to watch a few races and see the lead group (and following groups) go through - especially at the O2S and Chequamegon. I won't get to see that again once I am able to race again. Watching from the sidelines is ok, but I would much rather be racing. As long as I am able to get my exercise in for the day, watching is fine. But, if I cannot exercise then I get really crabby. I have gotten to see Scott race quite a bit this summer, so that has been good. I am especially glad that he is able to race and not DNF! He is still trying to get his full health back from being overly exposed to cat allergens for too many years, but he is coming around and can even pull a desent result when unable to train much or not feeling that great. I am still hoping his best results will come yet in the season, although there are only a few races left.

Scott raced the final MNSCS race in the series held in St. Cloud yesterday. After a bit of deliberation, we decided I wouldn't be going into full blown labor anytime soon (I was hoping, but sure if he didn't go the baby wouldn't come. She didn't come anyway). He didn't feel that great during the race and actually crashed once, hit a tree and reopened his hip wound from last weekend, and struggled a bit the first few laps in the singletrack. We don't have fast big ring singletrack like that in Duluth so it took him a bit to get used to the course as he didn't preride. He still finished fifth which he was pleased with given his mishaps, how much riding he has been able to do lately (he was fighting a cold earlier in the week), and how he felt during the race. Thankfully, Kyia's friends were nice enough to give him water hand-ups. It was 80 + degrees during the race. (Back in Duluth the high may have hit 60 with cold winds off the lake).

Our baby is still incubating and I have to remind myself that although I am not that comfortable, she isn't due until the 26th. We have been given so many due dates, but I think that one is the most accurate. We are both anxious and I have had enough false labor (braxton hicks) that something should start happening soon. I hope so anyay. I tried to ride my trainer last week - I made 7 minutes before I had to pee, and then 8 more after that until my belly just had had enough. My belly hangs too low to bike comfortably anymore. I rode outside for the last time on the 8th - which isn't too bad all things considered. I would need my bars to be higher to ride again and unfortunately we have maxed out my steer tube and riser bar combination height. If we lived on a good road, I would have invested in a cruiser. Trek makes some really nice cruiser bikes. Unfortunately, our road is gravel in one direction and full of pot holes and an 8-9% grade 6' uphill (15' walking) to get to better roads in the other direction. I am still hiking, walking, and lifting weights. As long as I get out everyday I feel pretty good about the day. I am excited to ride my bike again! Even to go running would be nice. I tried to take a few jogging steps (maybe shake the baby out a bit?) yesterday, but flight was non-obtainable. My legs just don't work like that right now. Hopefully, baby will come soon!

1 comment:

Kyia said...

I keep looking at your blog to see if baby is out...Good luck!! Oh, I think I heard Scotts scream when he ran into that tree and re opened his wound. eeeek