Saturday, June 09, 2012

Mankato Update

I finally finished a Mnt Kato race without blowing sky high. It has been around 15 years since I've had a good race at Mnt Kato and I was suspect about this year considering the hot forecast. Duluth has been pretty chilly even though the rest of the state has been toasty, so it is a complete crap shot when the mercury creeps to 80 and higher. Luckily, Sara's dad was at the race to keep Kiera entertained and do hand-ups...

In fact, her dad was in Mankato racing at the Senior Nationals and he was able to grab 5 firsts and a couple of second place finishes. We watched one of his races and he was obviously stoked to have a fan section. I'm always way more nervous watching bike races rather than racing.

At the gun, Doug Swanson pushed the pace and then let Jesse Rients take over part way through the lap. We had a pretty big group for most of the first lap before Brendan Moore took over on the ski hill climb and blew everything apart. I was doing okay riding with Jack Hinkens and Michael McBurney but anytime the race went uphill I had to be careful because I wasn't recovering as quickly as I'd like. Jack ended up gapping me a bit before I saw Doug, since he dropped a water bottle and had to stop. I got on his wheel and he brought me back to Jack but the effort was too much and I popped and had to spin for a lap. Luke Nelson caught me somewhere in lap four, rode with me for a bit, and then dropped me easily on a short, steeper climb. I ended up holding on for fifth so I was pleased with the effort.

Sara ended up getting second to Jenna Rinehart for the second year in a row. It is no surprise seeing how Jenna flies on her hometown turf - and everywhere else for that matter. Sara didn't have much so she couldn't give her a run, even for a lap. Sara said she would have quit if her dad wasn't there watching the race because she could tell she didn't have it and the motivation was low.

On Thursday Sara got super sick with a high fever, sore throat, cold, aches, etc. so she's bummed that she cannot ride in the warm, dry weather.

We got a little hail on Memorial Day. Had the insurance adjuster out so I'm sure we'll be getting some money back since we just replaced the roof on the house and garage looks worse.

If all goes as planned we'll be at Red Wing next Sunday.

Some of this was still around on the following day


Stella and Kiera at Anne Swanson's cabin


Stewart Creek by our house is usually a little trickle

No comments: